Imagine Your Life – Richer, Fuller, and Happier
Do you ever imagine how you can be richer and full of happiness? Well perhaps this post isn’t about money, but I can assure you that if you take the time to read and reflect on your own life, you will come away with some thoughts that will make you feel richer, fuller and happier. You see, sometimes in life we get lost and caught up in living the same patterns that we see. We grow up, go to school, get married, have children, and have careers. During some point you look up and wonder what happened to your life. Where did it go.
Sometimes I feel as though I have lived so many lives in just this one. As a child, traveling to different parts of the world in a military family. My teens, truly rooted for the first time in my life. Awkward and struggling to fit in with kids that had known each other all their lives, only later to experience another move during high school. Always new and different beginnings. A pattern I never abandoned in my life.
First kiss, first job, first marriage, first college class, first promotion, first child, first broken heart… Life continued and was repeated several times.
Looking back it seems like someone else’s life that I was living. I grasp for details and find fewer and fewer as I grow older. The memories I have are sweet and bitter at the same time, yet I look now for the lessons and the greatness in my life. I am quicker to see things that brought me joy and happiness long ago.
It hit me Saturday what I was missing when I got to sit down and have a conversation with my son and his wife. Nothing too terribly earth shattering, but just memories and laughter. When the two of them would pick at one another, I sat back and observed their playfulness. I realized at that moment, that is what I had been missing. I had not opened myself up to truly appreciate my life as it was happening. No wonder there are so many details and memories missing.
After coming home I sat and wrote down some of the things in my life that I truly appreciate. What I appreciate in others and what I appreciate in my life. Below is the list I have started. I plan to add to it and continue to remind myself how important it is to appreciate the details.
What Do I Appreciate In Life?
1. My deep relationship with God – I can’t explain it, but He knows.
2. Early Saturday morning talks with mom for hours – almost every Saturday my mom and I talk on the phone for hours. She will read me stories about kitty cats, recipes she thought sounded good, and the store ads. My mom is my prayer warrior for myself and my children. Between us, I know we have the family covered.
3. Dad’s advice which is always timely – Dad retired a few years ago and loves to share books he thinks might be interesting, emails that embraces our shared love of military heroes, and advice on work matters. My dad is my reminder to live my life with every fiber of my being, and do it with passion.
4. Son #1 and Son #2 “Equally Loved and Treasured” – I am so very grateful that my boys are such wonderful men and that we are closer than I ever dreamed. They both can make me laugh on a dime, and consider different points of views so that I can remain unbiased. One is more introverted, and has the power of persuasion. One is extroverted, and is a friend to everyone. He has a heart for people who are hurting. My son’s are my everything.
5. Daughter-in-laws that feel like daughters – Both genuinely loving people who have a lasting love for their husbands. One is strong-willed and outspoken, the other is strong hearted and soft-spoken. My son’s made great choices.
6. My step-daughter – The one that refused to let me go out of her life. She is one of the strongest women I know. Full of love and forgiveness for every situation.
7. My best friend is still best friend – Many miles away, but always connected to my heart everyday.
8. For a career that challenges me – Not because it’s in my job description, but because it gives me the ability to step outside of the box. To expand my reach within the organization and this world, and truly make a difference.
9. Moments in life that have become memories – The sweet memories of those that have gone on before me. Your words and your laughter still echo through my mind.
10. My senses that allow me to touch, see, hear, smell, and taste – I am embracing my senses more each day as I become more aware of life’s touching moments. I don’t wish to miss anything ever again. Learning to photograph the moment in my mind. The feeling, the image, the sounds and smells, and the tastes of life.
11. I appreciate the breath I breathe every moment of everyday – With each life that leaves me, I am learning to appreciate my own more.
12. The absolute beauty of creation – Setting my daily intentions on capturing the beauty around me. When I take the time to truly look around and live the moment, I am never disappointed.
13. That life takes me out of my comfort zone – Because it is when you are out of your comfort zone that you grow. May I remain just outside of what makes me comfortable everyday.
14. The pursuit of dreams – I appreciate that I still have a passion for pursuing different dreams, and that I don’t have to just do one thing. There are so many different paths to choose in this life and I want to experience as many as I can.
15. That I have lived a life that makes me appreciate the life I have – I have been comfortable and uncomfortable, secure and frozen in fear. My life has had amazing peaks and some deep valleys, but it has brought me to where I am.
I could easily go on, which is why I have decided to continue adding to my list. The more I wrote down, the more I saw people and things in my life that I appreciate.
Take the time you need to write down what you appreciate in life. Tuck it away to revisit when life hits their valleys. And one more thing I want to suggest. Tell the people in your life what they mean to you.
My goal is to write an appreciation letter to those in my life that are still with me. It will take time; as there are quite a few, but they need to know how their life impacts this world for the better.
I would love to know what you have on your list! Maybe it will inspire me to see something new.
`•.¸.•´ Until Next Time,
¸.•´¸.•¨) ¸.•) Sherri
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ (¸.•¨¯`♥